Sunday, July 24, 2011

The "Black & White" Knit Dress

Those of you who know me know that I don't love dressing my daughter in full pink/purple/or any color that to me is too girly. While little Miss K does love her some purple (and at times I have to budge and make exceptions), she’s totally easy about just going with what I put on her. She’s usually even more easy-going if she knows I’m making her a dress…so for her, that’s typically my outfit of choice.

Being a California girl at heart, I don’t believe in the whole “no white before Memorial Day” mumbo jumbo. To me, white is a precious hue…it should be worn year-round. Yes, even in the winter for you northerners (go ahead, roll your eyes, whatever). So now that I live in a state much like California that is sunny almost year round, white continues to be plastered on some of my little one’s clothing.

When I went to California in March, I dragged poor McHubbers and the little one up to my old stomping grounds…the LA Fashion District (especially the places I frequented back in fashion school). Wow…I had forgotten how incredibly amazing it is to go up there!!! I was in HEAVEN…I mean, it’s like NYC but warmer and with Mexican taco trucks on every corner...which, by the way, smelled awesome.

I picked up the white knit fabric at one of my favorite shops up there, and made this little number. I liked the slight stretch of the knit and is very comfortable, I also lined it with a with cotton voile fabric. The knit has a lace/vintage type pattern to it, which to me made it even more beautiful. I attached black lace to the hem and a thin black sash to the top to allow for tying in the back. I love the way it looks with black Chucks too. I suppose if it was paired with a cute pair of sandals or mary-janes, it could be suitable for a fancier occasion.

Cost: $58
Sizes: Infants-5T





1 comment: